Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lime-Cilantro Rice & Another Tomatillo Dressing

This is in no way to down-play Elise's post - but why not add to it. We made our "Cafe Rio" pork salads last night, with rice, homemade black beans and homemade tortillas. SO DELICIOUS!!

Here are a few of the recipes I use. It will be interesting to compare and see how they both taste.

"Cafe Rio" Shredded Pork
3-4 lb. pork loin roast
1 can dr. pepper or coke. Cook on low 6-8 hours, until it shreds. Remove pork to shred and add to sauce
1 c. brown sugar
1 16 oz. bottle taco sauce
1 TB. cumin
Garlic Salt
Cook on low and additional 2 hours. NOTE: I usually start my meat around 10am, cook it on high till 1pm, then turn it to low until 4pm. Add everything and return it to low and eat between 5:30 and 6:00pm.

"Cafe Rio" Rice - I have tried many versions, this is BY FAR my favorite
3 c. water
4 tsp. chicken bullion (I usually use 1 can chicken broth + 1 cup water OR 2-3 bullion cubes)
1 TB. minced garlic
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 sm. can green chilies
3 c. rice
1 tsp. salt
1 TB. Butter
1/2 onion
juice of 2-3 limes
*Blend cilantro, green chilies and onion in food processor.

I dump everything in my rice cooker and push down the button. If you don't have a rice cooker, get one. :)


Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
3/4 bottle of 16 oz. ranch
1/4 c. Mayo
1 small jalapeno (no seeds)
2 medium tomatillos (little green tomatoes)
1/2 bunch cilantro
juice of 1 lime


ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Molly - I can't wait to try this! Why don't you post your recipe for homemade tortillas? Do you have a tortilla press or do you roll them out?