Start by beating 3 eggs until light and frothy (I used a hand mixer):
Add 1/2 cup vegetable (or canola) oil and 1/2 cup applesauce:
Mix in 2 cups of sugar (I ran out, so I used 1 1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cups Splenda)
Mix in 2 teaspoons vanilla
And 2 -3 cups shredded zucchini - no need to peel- and stir together (I stopped using the hand mixer on this step):
In a separate bowl stir together flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder (see measurements below):
Let your 3 year old help, if you're so inclined (yes, she painted her hair green with her finger paints):
Stir together with a spoon or fork and fold into the egg mixture
Grease two 8x4 loaf pans and divide the mixture between the two pans:
Now for the yummy crumbly top (this is optional, but I HIGHLY recommend it!):
Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter (stick butter is better, but again I had to improvise!)
Be sure your toddler tests it out to make it's edible :)
Mix together (your hands are your best tool here!) until the butter is well incorporated, then sprinkle it on top of the batter. You'll think there is WAY too much, but believe me, use it all!!!
Bake in a 325* oven for an hour. Warning, you'll want to open the oven while this is baking, it smells SO yummy
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2-3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (high altitude, add 1/2 cup flour and 1-2 tbsp water)
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon